Question
Posted by: Lynn | 2007/03/06

Inordinate discharge

I am in my first year of menstration and for about two weeks before my period I have so much discharge that I have to wear pads. It has become a big problem. I am worried about wearing bathing suits this summer. ALso it is very uncomfortable. My periods are normal I guess, and the discharge is almost more of a pain. Speaking of pain, I do have alot of back pain with my period, bad PMS and headaches. Not much cramping. But I also have back pain about two weeks before my period too. Please help. Thank you.

Dear Lynn
Try taking 100 mg Vit B6 per day in the week before you start your period. You can try something like Neurofen for the pain. What kind of discharge do you have - if it whitish, slightly yellow but not smelly this can be normal due to hormonal changes. If it is black, it could be blood and then I would suggest you ask your GP to prescribe you some progesterone tablets to use in the two weeks before your period. If it is yellow or green, thick and smelly you may have an infection and may need antibiotics.

1
Posted by: Lou | 2007/03/07

Hi Lynne

The first year or two once you start your periods is the worst because it takes a while for your hormones to settle into a pattern, so it is common for young girls to have bad cramping and heavy bleeding etc. This should settle down in the next year, but if it doesn't, your doctor can prescribe something to help with this. The discharge is (assuming you are not sexually active) probably due to your hormones being unsettled. If the discharge does not smell bad and is not a funny colour, then it is normal. Always best to avoid bubble bath, coloured toilet paper and intimate sprays and of course anything other than pure cotton undies.

Reply to Lou