Question
Posted by: Ali | 2008/06/24

Inner thighs - Over did it at Gym

I went to gym last week tuesday. And over did it a bit on my inner thighs on the thigh machine.

I noticed that I was more stiff on Thursday after Over doing it rather than the next day. I was unable to walk properly I was so sore. Usually this lasts for about a day and then its over.

However I have noticed that my quads have been painful since then too. The pain has not gone completely from my inner thighs either.

Not sure why this has lasted so long, and why the pain is now in my quads.

Please help. Thanks

I wouldn't worry about stiffness too much in this early stage. As you've said, you just overdid it and any time you train a muscle that has not previously been trained, you will struggle with this stiffness, and it can last for up to 4 or 5 days, depending on the severity. So by the time you read this (and apologies for the long delay in replying), your pain should have disappeared.

In the future, the good news is that it won't develop as much in the future, now that your muscles are a little more accustomed to the training. But I think in future, just back off a little, you don't want to train one day and then take 3 days off every time! But as i say, it will get less and less severe in the future.

2
Posted by: kimmi | 2008/07/02

Also, if your one muscle group is sore (inner thighs in your case) generally people overcompensate for it, like walking differently, which leads to other muscles groups becoming sore/injured as they are not normally used as much in that instance. Not sure if that makes sense?

Reply to kimmi
Posted by: ben | 2008/06/25

its probably because you over did it. if ive had a break from gym and then i train a muscle group hard, i can be sore for a few days as well (sometimes upto 3 days, especially legs). do you use the thigh machine regularly? or is this the 1st time you've used it in a while? if its the 1st time in a while then i dont think its an issue.

Reply to ben