Question
Posted by: Jarrod | 2006/04/20

injury to the anterior cruciate ligament

Hi, I'm currently doing my mini-thesis for my teaching degree in Sport Science and the topic that I have chosen is "A study of the incidence of injury to the anterior cruciate ligament in grade twelve open rugby players" and my hypothesis is "It is hypothesised that lack of physical fitness is a major contribution to the injury of the ACL in the beginning of the rugby season and that muscle fatigue is a major contribution to the injury of the ACL at the end of the rugby season."

With as far as physical fitness goes, I am wanting to limit its definition to, physical fitness being regarded as "body weight to muscle ratio" when insufficient causes excess strain on the knee joint, involving the ligaments holding the knee in place.

I need to put together a questionare, as a major part of my research, to take to the schools and interview rugby players who have had this injury. So I was wondering if you could help me with some ideas as to what questions I could ask them - also am I correct to be concerned that some people wouldn't know their bodies condition at the time? I've had the injury (complete tear of the ACL had the op and was out of rugby for two years) and I know that my initial injury occured because of been unlucky, slightly unfit and had quiet a lot of previous injuries in that season, so was experiencing muscle fatigue as well.

Thank you so much for your time, I look forward to your response.

Many thanks

Jarrod Stevens

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Jarrod
Nothing like personal experience to motivate.

A couple of ideas-
Try not to pose leading questions such as:
i.e Do you believe not training in the off season caused your injury?

Make them more open ended:
Do you know when the injury occurred?
Rate your fitness level at the time of the injury.
Do you do any fitness training in the off season.
Do you do any other sports.
Do you think there is too little, too much or just the right amount of rugby in the season.
Did you have any injuries in previous seasons. What were they. when were they?

Just a couple of ideas

Dr P

2
Posted by: Anonymus | 2006/05/08

Dear Jarrod
Re ACL injuries. I don't agree with the myth that ACL injury is the cause of lack of physical fitness in the beginnig of a rugby season or for that matter at the end of the season. Accidents happen... Thats the way life is.Whether it is caused by ones own negligence in the game, or a "fowl" by your opponent, these things happen... No matter how fit one is or how "prepared" one is physicaly. One should rather concentrate on the injuries and how one can overcome them. That would be my questions.... Just a thought...

Reply to Anonymus
Posted by: Jarrod | 2006/04/23

Thank you so much Dr P

I went through all of your responses (nearly all of them) to the other questions poses to you and I really do value your response, because I fully agree with all of your advise-and I'm not saying that just because you replied to my question, that you gave to those injured out there!

Thanks for the advise I really had no idea even where to begin, and your explaination and examples have improved my spirit towards this thesis!

Thanks again

All the best
-J.

Reply to Jarrod