Question
Posted by: Bea | 2004/11/20

Injured tendon BEHIND leg/knee

Hi!
I run about an hour a day, 4 times a week. About a week ago, 15 minutes after I got back home and showered, I experienced pain and stiffness on one of the tendons that run behind my left knee. I don't know if I'm describing this accurately, but it's not behind my kneecap, it's on the back of my leg. I can feel two tendons there, and the inner one is sore.
What could this be, what caused it (I have kind of increased speed for about a week before this happened, and I ran a lot more hills) AND MORE IMPORTANTLY: CAN I RUN WITH IT????????????????? I love my runs and NEED them. Maybe I should just cut back (a LITTLE bit??) I don't want to stop entirely. But I also don't want to do permanent damage!!
Please what is the best for my leg?

Expert ImageArchive

THis sounds very much like your hamstring tendon, but it is better for you to have someone have a look at it ,to accurately diagnose your problem. From the sounds of things the increase in speed training has probably led to a mild hamstring strain and you need to slow things down until the symptoms subside. For rehab, some eccentric loading of the hamstring will prevent this kind of thing from happening again. Run flat and slower until the discomfort goes and then slowly increase speed by 10% a week. Yours in running.