Question
Posted by: Marion | 2004/01/21

Injections at Tentist

Dear Doc,

My previous tentist has told me that I have an over-reaction after injection of the painkiller. After a large amount of painkiller had been injected I started to shake, cry and my heartbeat went up skyhigh. She says there are two different types of injections: one with and one without adrenaline. Is that true and can I ask (in future) for the one without adrenaline?
Thanks for your help
Marion

Marion, adrenalin is added to the local anaesthetic to make it work better. It makes the blood vessels go into spasm and this prevents the local anaesthetic from being taken away from the place where it was injected. Next time you go to the dentist you can just tell him you had a bad reaction. Good luck.