Question
Posted by: squirrel | 2003/03/04

injectable

hello doc
from being on triphasil, then melodene, then back to triphasil (accumatively a couple of years) i went directly on to the injection. (thank you for your reply about my earlier questions regarding this & side effects of it.) i had the first one on 04/01/2003 and am due for the second on 29/03/2003, but am thinking of giving it a miss. how long would it take for my period to return after just one injection? (i know it is said that it takes between 6 & 12 months for your period to return, but after only one injection?) when should one, after having stopped injections, start with a different type of contraception? what do you deem the best/safest contraceptive - least harmful to the system (surely all these chemicals can't be good for my body)?

The time for return of periods is variable. It is likely that your period will return earlier than six months as you have only had one injection, but this varies from person to person. You will be protected until the 29/3, thereafter you should use contraception of whatever kind you have decided on if you wish to avoid pregnancy.
The oral contraceptive, injectable and IUCD are all very effective. The risks you take must be weighed up against the risks of unwanted pregnancy. There is a good contraceptive site under the A-Z of diseases where you can read about the pros and cons of the different contraceptive options.