Question
Posted by: LIONEL | 2007/03/27

inguinal hernia

Hope you can help me. I had surgery about 3 months ago, and was following a program in our local gym. I,m looking for tips on how to start again, as i still found it dificult to do leg and ab exercises. I,m not sure with what type of exercises to start again.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Lionel:

Inguinal hernias take a maximum of 2 weeks to repair after surgery. If you are still receiving symptoms, I recommend that you consult your specialist.

With regards to your exercises, I think it’s important that you strengthen your pelvic core stabiliser areas before moving onto general leg and abdominal strengthening exercises. Inguinal Hernias are caused by normal daily activity pressure on “muscular weak spots” in the groin area, so strengthening these areas with exercises such as kegel exercises would be important.

Once you are strong enough you would be able to progress to more functional leg exercises. I would thus advise you to consult with a Biokineticist to guide you through a rehabilitation protocol. I would also advise that you consult with a dietician, to assist you in a healthy eating plan. If you gain excessive weight in the future, it could cause problems as the extra weight would contribute to the pressure exerted on the abdominal/ groin area.

1
Posted by: lionel | 2007/03/29

as above

Reply to lionel