Posted by: James | 2006/10/31

Ingrown hair

Hi Doc,

I suffer from very bad ingrown hair at the back of my upper arms (triceps) and all over my legs. It looks almost like a spot that develops underneath the skin, then when I want to 'pop' it, I ALWAYS find a hair inside that was ingrown and seems to have turned sideways. Further to this, the little sore that it leaves behind doesn't heal very quickly at all. I cannot wear anything sleevless and always feel embarrest with my legs when wearing shorts. Please help, what can I do??

Thx, John

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear James
It is often caused by the friction of your clothes over the hair. There is not much you can do except maybe wax the specific area or rub the skin with a coarse washcloth or loofah if you shower to prevent blockage of the hair follicle ducts. Using a moisturizer with beta hydroxy acid may prevent plugging of the follicle too.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.