Question
Posted by: James | 2006/10/31

Ingrown hair

Hi Doc,

I suffer from very bad ingrown hair at the back of my upper arms (triceps) and all over my legs. It looks almost like a spot that develops underneath the skin, then when I want to 'pop' it, I ALWAYS find a hair inside that was ingrown and seems to have turned sideways. Further to this, the little sore that it leaves behind doesn't heal very quickly at all. I cannot wear anything sleevless and always feel embarrest with my legs when wearing shorts. Please help, what can I do??

Thx, John

Dear James
It is often caused by the friction of your clothes over the hair. There is not much you can do except maybe wax the specific area or rub the skin with a coarse washcloth or loofah if you shower to prevent blockage of the hair follicle ducts. Using a moisturizer with beta hydroxy acid may prevent plugging of the follicle too.
See http://www.skinbiology.com/ingrownhairs.html