Question
Posted by: Helena | 2003/01/20

Ingrowing Hair

Dear Doctor
A while ago I had a half leg and a bikini wax. Now I suffer terribly from ingrowing hair, on my legs but especialy in the bikini area. I put softening creams, like Germolene and Annique Rescue cream on, and also put Bio-Oil Tissue Oil on the affected area, but nothing helps. It is really red, and sore and full of little red bumps. I can even see the dark hair under the skin. It looks awful and I can not dare to put a bathing suit on and don't want to get undressed infront of anybody. The condition has been going on for at least 3 weeks now and I am desperate to find a way to solve the problem. Should I go to see a dermatologist and could you recommend one?
By the way I have been taking a course of anti-biotics prescirbed by my gynae for a different complaint (Flagyl & Doxitab) for the past 2 weeks and thought that it would at least help - but could this medication be making it worse?
Thanking you in advance for your assistance.
Kind Regards
Helena

Helena, it’s funny that the antibiotics don’t clear it up. It might be that you’re suffering from contact dermatitis caused by the wax that was used. The best would be to see your GP and have him prescribe you different antibiotics and a cortisone cream. You can always do something about the ingrown hair once everything has calmed down. Good luck.