Question
Posted by: Pieter | 2005/12/05

Infrapatellar injury

I am struggeling with this injury for almost a year and a half, I did see a knee specialist a year ago and he sead I must do streach and reabilitation on my knee to make it strong, I did everything what he sead. And everthing when well for a year but when I jog or play rugby the pain comes back. I am spraping my knee when I play but I want to play without the pain do you think I must operate on my knee and fix the problem or are there a beter option to my problem?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Pieter

Perhaps you should get a second opinion from another knee specialist before surgery. Generally surgeons prefer to give you a cortisone injection before opting for surgery.

You need to start your rehabilitation again. Work with a biokineticist or sports physiotherapist. Once you have finished your official rehabilitation programme, you need to continue with your stretches and a maintenance programme, as you will always be susceptible to this problem. Possibly you will need to spend considerable time with a good biokineticist or physiotherapist correcting your biomechanics (the way you use your knee), as this may be the underlying cause to your recurring pain and injury.

This may be expensive, but could possibly save you alot of money in the long run, as you would be avoiding surgery. Also, you would be able to return to rugby, instead of having to give it up because of recurrent knee injuries.

Another option is to see a podiatrist for specially constructed shoes that can also change your biomechanics and off-load the knee.

Bottom line: invest in your health and commit to full rehabilitation, otherwise you'll be wasting your money if you don't finish the rehab programme.