Question
Posted by: nici | 2007/05/09

information about mirena

dear gynaedoc,
im going for my mirena iud insertion in 2 weeks and im not sure what to expect.. could you please guide me through the process,whats going to happen and whether it will be painful as ive not had any children yet. And, is it important to go on your third day of menstruation or is the 1st or 2nd day just as good?

Different doctors use different methods. Some will give you sedation, others not. the Mirena is inserted into the uterus through a speculum. This will feel similar to a pap smear to you. there may be some cramps afterwards. As long as you are not bleeding too heavily, the first or second day of the period should be fine.

Bedst wishes