Question
Posted by: Laura | 2005/07/12

Info on MBA implant surgery for flat feet

Would like to know if you received any information about the MBA implant surgery? This surgery is suppose to restore the arch in flat feet. I would like feedback from someone who has had this surgery or a Doctor who has performed the surgery. I'm not having much luck finding anything on the internet.
My son is 13 years old and he plays sports. He use to be a fast runner and since he was 9 he has had pain, and now he struggles with running. His feet are really flat and his ankle and knee are being affected.

Expert ImageArchive

Much to discuss. There is to my knowledge (I confirmed with one of my colleagues) only one procedure involving an implant where it is paced into a cavity in the foot and this increases the arch height at the expense of blocking movement in the ankle joint where the foot is rolling in. But there are considerations. Firstly why do you want to go for a surgical option first, when there may be a very simple conservative method available. Second, does he have a true flat foot (very rare) a bone coalition in the foot, or an overpronated foot.
Given that he is now having trouble with his knees and ankles I suspect that he has an overpronated foot.
The first line treatment for this type of foot is not surgery but custom made, moulded orthotic devices placed into his shoes (these are not ver the counter arch supports)

My advice is to send you to one of my colleagues (call the South African Podiatry assn 0861 100 249) please ask the SAPA secretary for a podiatrist well versed in Biomechanics and orthotics
You need to exhaust your consernative options before contemplating any ops