Question
Posted by: Mas | 2008/06/05

inflammation:-)

The last time i ran was on 25/05/2008. I started to experience pain in my right foot. I went to see my GP on 28/05/2008 as the pain was much worse and i was limping. He told me i had inflammation on my foot and i have not done any form of exercise since 25/05/2008 but the pain is back, on the same foot.
Will you kindly advise on what to do. What kind of exercise can i do in the mean time?

It's very difficult to diagnose this kind of 'injury' without having a history and physical examination, and that's why the best thing is always to see a doctor. Of course, you need a diagnosis in order to treat anything properly and so the best I could do is guess. And as much as I hate passing the buck, I would have to suggest that if the problem persists, you consider seeing a physio.

But my suspicion in this case is that it is most likely related to an increase in your training volume that is perhaps more than you are able to handle. The body is able to adapt to 'stress' (which is what exercise is) but only up to a point. Eventually, the stress is too great and your body responds with this early indication of pain. It's not serious, but it's a sign that your training may be a little great. All you would need to do is back off the training very slightly - maybe by about half for a week or two and see if you are able to adapt.

The biggest reason for injury is training too much too soon, and often, simply reducing the training volume will help. So that's your first port of call, not the shoes or scoliosis etc. Rather, just reduce your training volume, make sure you are resting well between sessions and not walking too long or too fast and see how it goes.

As I said, if the problem does persist, then I would see a doctor.