Question
Posted by: faith | 2004/11/05

INFERTILITY & IVF

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONCEIVE FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS BUT HAS BEEN UNSUCCESSFUL.

I WAS DIAGONISED WITH ENDO IN 1999 OF WHICH I DID A LAPSCOPE FOR.

LAST WEEK I WENT FOR ANOTHER LAPSCOPE AND THE RESULTS SHOWED THAT I HAD A CYST AND SOME SCARS ON MY TUBES. THE DOCTOR SAID THE ONLY OPTION IS IVF (IN-VITRO FERTILISATION).

I DO NOT HAVE ANY CLARITY ABOUT THE PROCESS AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT MY CHANCES OF FALLING PREGNANT USING THIS METHODS AND IF AND IF ARE THE ANY METHODS TO BE SUGGESED SO THAT I CAN BE ABLE TO COMPARE.

I hope Golly's information has helped you. The success rate is around 30% per cycle.

1
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/05

Faith,

IVF is done as follows: the eggs are harvested via laparoscopy or vaginal (depending on the doc) after stimulation with ovulation induction meds. At the same time your hubby gives a sperm sample which is washed and concentrated. The best eggs are then added to the sperm and the fertilisation and development closely monitored. The lab technicians may also insert the sperm into the egg if they do not fertilise unassisted in the dish. Not all eggs fertilise and not all embrio's survive until transfer. Some docs transfer the live embrio's after 3 days while others transfer at 5 days post retrieval.
Your chances of falling pregnant are the highest of any other assisted reproductive therapy (ART) and in the order of ~42%. The cost differs but ranges from R18 000 to 34 000 depending on clinic and required medications.
Alternatives are GIFT where the egg and sperm is returned to the fallopian tubes via laparoscopy after washing and preparation. This procedure has the disadvantage that the doc can not confirm fertilisation (as this takes place inside the tube) and has a lower success rate, ~35%. This procedure is never recommended where tubal damage, constriction or blockage is present or even suspected as this may lead to higher incidence of ectopic pregnancies.
Visit www dot ivf dot com to read more about the IVF program.
I hope this helps. Make notes of any specific questions you would like to ask your doc and make sure to have them answered at your next appointment.
Hope this info helps. All the best!

Reply to Golly