Question
Posted by: JJ | 2005/11/28

Infection - Doc, PLEASE advise

Dear Doc,

Please can you help. My hubby and I have been ttcing for 4 years. I was diagnosed with PCOS & him with low sperm count. To add to all this we both have a bacterial infection (ecoli) which is making falling pregnant more difficult. We both have been on 3 courses of antibiotics (that our fertility specialist prescribed) but it has NOT cleared it!!!.

I went for IVF/ICSI last year but it failed. I fell pregnant on my own this year, but miscarried at 5 weeks (ectopic/unviable pregnancy).
Now, our fertility specialist says that until this infection is cleared, we can not do any proecures etc. Please advise what we can do. None of the antibiotics seem to be working & we are just so frustrated. Can we just try on our own & will this infection affect a pregnancy in future????

Dear JJ

The presence of ecoli is not unusual and is often due to contamination rather than actual infection. It is unlikely that the infection is the sole reason for the failure in terms of IVF / ICSI. Also it is unlikely that it is responsible for the miscarriage you experienced lately.

My advise is that you pursue the fertility option and that the antibiotics, based on a sensitivity analysis, should be used at the time of the ooctye retrieval process and when the sperm collection is being done. We have been adopting this method of treatment for all our patients, (ie prescribing antibiotics on a routine basis at the time of oocyte retrieval) for many years now, and have not had any major problems with infections to date.

It is rather difficult for me to recommend that you try on your own as I do not have all the facts available to me, in particular, the sperm results - and therefore cannot make an educated decision on this.

1
Posted by: Baby | 2005/11/29

Hi JJ

This has no relevance to your question, I just wanted to know what ecoli is and how do you get it?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to Baby