Question
Posted by: Worried | 2006/10/25

Infection after labour

Please help, Doctor
I gave birth to my second child on 16 October. I have been bleeding (I know this is normal: Lochia), I did not have a episiotomy, but I did tear and was stitched up afterwards. But today the bleeding became bright red again and it has an awful smell and I suspect I have infection. what caused this as I have been bathing in salt water ever since the birth and drank plenty of water. Is it the uterus that is infected or bladder? How can I treat this? Will probiflora help?

Tx

You don't know whether it is an infection or not. The only way to know is to have your doctor check. If it is an infection, antibiotics will be necessary. You cannot treat yourself.

1
Posted by: Lou | 2006/10/26

You must rather go straight back to your gynae asap - if you do have an infection it must be treated immediately, Infections after birth are to be taken very seriously as if left they can have dire consequences.

Reply to Lou