Question
Posted by: Burn Victim | 2007/06/18

Infection???

Doc, could you please advise? I've burned myself last week and posted to you. You advised me to go to a doctor, but payday is only on the 25th and I don't have medical aid. I went to a pharmasist, he gave me Betadine and told me NOT to bandage the wound and wait for it to dry.

I realise that you can get angry with me for not listening to you in the first place, but the wound does not get any better and I don't know how it looks if there is infection in it!! It stays "wet" and extremely painfull. Can I put "mecurocrome" on it??? All I have at home is that, Betadine and Annique ResQue cream. Should I bandage it up?? What can happen if I leave this untreated? How does infection look??? Please help me, I promise I won't bother you again. I'm desperate and sort of scared.

Dear Burn Victim
NO please don't put mercurochrome on it. If there is no pus in the wound, Get some Bactroban or silversalazine ointment, and paraffin gauze - put the ointment thickly on the wet area, put the paraffin gauze over it, then a wad of normal gauze and bandage it. Clean it daily with antiseptic - gently.
Infected burn wounds have a red angry area around the wound and a yellow thickish puss inside that does not rinse off (dead tissue). If this is the case, see if you can get Granuflex - it is a sticky plaster that you put on (it must be bigger by 1cm margin than the wound - sticky side on the wound) and you leave it on for 3 days - this removes the dead tissue and helps the wound to heal.
Otherwise go to a provincial hospital casualty department for treatment? Will be much cheaper?