Posted by: Happy | 2008/09/12

Infant with Asthma

Hi everyone,

I posted on Tuesday to the parenting corner about my little girl of 8mths having to have a puffer pump and cortisone for possible asthma. Well, I took her back to the dr today because since starting the pump and syrup her cough has just got worse and she is really wheezing at night. I' m concerned that she might be sick because my husband and I are coming down with a cold. Her nose is running too. Dr listened to her chest again for a long time and then said he doesn'  t think the wheezing and coughing is from her being ill. He thinks it is asthma. I must stop the cortisone today (day 5 &  last day of the course) and continue with the puffer pump 4x day. He also gave me a cough mixture to help with the phlemy cough.

My husband is asthmatic so there is a chance she'  s got it genetically from him and she'  s also had excema since she was a tiny baby. I am told that asthma and excema go together?

She'  s not obviously breathless - just coughing a lot and wheezing at night. There is no pattern to the wheezing and coughing. She doesn'  t seem to cough more after any excitement or playing, although it'  s a lot worse at night when she'  s trying to sleep.

She hates the puffer pump. I try to make a game of it but as soon as it comes near her mouth she turns her face away and cries.

I am thinking about getting a 2nd opinion from a pead about the asthma and taking her to physio to loosen the cough and get the phlem out.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Thank you for visiting

It is true that asthma and exzema are related. Luckily at a young, a child outgrows this condition. It is important to get a second opinion from a paediatrician before she is branded as an asthmatic for the rest of her life. It will be a good idea to have a chest x-ray taken before consulting the paediatrician.

Asthma treatment has a come a long way and there are many different puffers on the market and if your daughter has asthma, it is important that she uses the correct medication. That is why you have to consult the paediatrician.

Kind regards