Question
Posted by: macy | 2004/10/18

induction

Is there anyone who can share their experiance re induction of labour please... negative or positive.

My due date is on the 27 November but my midwife wants to do an induction on the 15th of November. No medical reason, I assume it is because of convenience only.

I am 30yrs old and have 2 children. I was in labour for 18 hrs with my son and 6 hrs with the 2nd child.

What I would like to know...how safe is induction. does it cause longer labour or a more painful labour...

I trust my midwife as I'm sure she knows more than me but I am just a bit concerned.

It does not mean a more painful or longer labour but there is always a chance that it fails and a caesar may be necessary.

2
Posted by: Belle | 2004/10/19

Hi Macy

Induced labour takes longer than if it happens naturally. I was 8 days late with my little boy before my doctor would induce. He said that the chances of needing a caesar because of complications is greater if you induce before your cervix has started to open. When I was 2cm dialated he finally induced, I had a 18 hour labour which was 7 hours longer than my first child and had an emergency caesar in the end because I didn't dialate completely. I don't mean to scare you but I am totally against doctors that induce for their convenience.

Reply to Belle
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/18

Induction is more painful! I would avoid it if I were you. I had an induction and really regret it, I will definitely not do that next time around.

Reply to Purple