Question
Posted by: Cheryl | 2007/11/29

Indian Ringneck

A week ago I got an 11 week old Indian Ringneck. He is still very scared and flutters about when I go near his cage. I understand that it will take time for him to get used to us, but what is the best method of taming him? I have googled this but there's not much info on the web that I can find.

The best will be to get hold of the breeder and get information from them. If the bird is scared it may not have been ahnd reared and that probably means it will take longer to get hand tame. Slowing moving to the cage with some food the bird really enjoys will also help. No sudden movements though.

2
Posted by: WR | 2007/11/30

Hi there,
Every bird is as individual to tame/train as every dog/human etc.
I reccom. spending an hour or so (as Chill said) just in the same area as the bird. When you going closer to the gace to change the water and food, lower your voice and speak very calmly to the bird, tell him what you are doing etc - not that he'd understand, but in doing so, you'll relax and the bird will pick up that you are relaxed and no threat. Make sure all your actions around him/the cage is very slow and deliberate - and in the beginning do not make to much eye-contact.
Google 'perch-training' or 'stick-training' or even just 'training a parrot'
Firstly however, you must have his wings trimmed in the CORRECT way so that he can't fly away, but most importantly not hurt himself - trim the primaries .
There are millions of websites on this topic and the one that I really enjoy is eliteparrots - google it.

Hope that helps!
Good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: Chill | 2007/11/29

My parrot that I've had for around 14 years also wasn't handreared, and was terrified of everything in the beginning. Nothing I did seemed to make any difference, so I figured the least stressful way to get him used to me would be to spend say an hour or so a day doing something very quiet (reading, or writing) while sitting near his cage.

He adjusted VERY slowly, first losing his fear, but it took nearly three years before he had enough confidence to take food from my hands.

Now of course he has all the cheek in the world, although I still can't handle him like I would a handreared bird, and he bites. It's a pity, because it means he has to remain in his cage - but luckily in all other respects he's healthy and well-adjusted, and he's endlessly amusing and entertaining.

Reply to Chill