Question
Posted by: Jojo | 2004/11/07

Indian Mynha Bird

Hi CyberVet

I just want to know what i can feed a baby indian mynha bird. the bird fell out of the nest. Up to now i've been feeding him food for hand rearing parrots. He seems to be doing okay on the food.
another question is will he survive if i set him free when he is strong enough ?? Please advise

thank you

He should do Ok on hand rearing food - there are softbill/mynah pellets available commercially that would be better for him in the long run - try and change him over as soon as you can. Fruit wise you can feed paw paw, banana, most of the soft fruits (but stay away from citrus and other fruit with a high vitamin C content as this can predispose mynahs to iron storage disease). I would not recommend releasing him again - they become imprinted on humans and can become very tame. Also, he would be competing with our indigenous bird species, and the presence of (exotic) mynahs can be very detrimental to other birds. A rehabilitation centre would probably not take him for release, for this reason. They are also great mimics and very intelligent. I suggest you contact your local nature conservation official to find out what the situation would be with keeping the bird.

Dr WIllemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian

3
Posted by: Jojo | 2004/11/10

Thank you Lucia your reply is a lot of help. As for Me what are you doing on this site?? If you can't say something nice rather don't say anything. I am sure most animal lovers would agry with me !!

Reply to Jojo
Posted by: me | 2004/11/10

Wring it's neck! They are horrible things.

Reply to me
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/11/08

Hi Jojo

The food is ok - years back someone brought me a Mynha bird which was half drowned after it fell out of it's nest during floods we had in Natal. Until it got all it's feathers, I fed the bird some Pronutro mixed with water and he flourished very quickly. There after he would eat almost anything, fruits, seeds and minced meat.

The problem with hand rearing them is that they become very tame and can as a result not cope on their own unless they are placed in a rehab programme and because of the vast volumes of Mynah birds in the Natal region, they are often regarded as pests and not a type of bird for which a rehab programme exists. Once they are used to humans, they will not stay away from them and thus stands the risk of being caught by other domestic animals. Did you know that they can talk ?

Reply to Lucia