Question
Posted by: Confused | 2004/02/21

Increasing body fat although strict diet control

For the past year I have been under extreme pressure. I was retrnched from my job, moved home, got married, my sister in law developed brain cancer and now my husband has been retrenched. Neither of us has been able to find a job yet.
before meeting my husband in january last year, I was in 2 long mentally and emotionally abusive relationships.
My weight has always yo-yod from being grossly over weight at school(72 kg), to being quite underwight (48kg).
I have tried all the diets and read all the boks.
My problem at the moment is that I am gaining centimetres almost daily, since stopping to work. My body fat has increased about 40% and no amount of gym or chne in eating plans has helped.
I tried Atkins for a while, and although it worked for 2 weeks or so, soon th centremetres started pilingon.
I have been sticking to a low carb diet for about 2 years now but something is not right.
I have just finished reasding the X-dirt and am thinking of giving it a try. the only thing is the amount of carbs recommended in the diet scares me.
I am so confused. Dr Atkins and Tabitha Humes contradict each other completely.
PLEASE HELP. I am desperate.
Nne of my clothes fit and I seem to be going around ina vicious circle.
I just want to loose the centremetres around my thighs, hips and tummy!

Confused

Dear Confused
I am so sorry to hear about all the traumatic events in your life. It is understandable to that you may be experiencing problems with weight because all these negative factors may be making you depressed. If this should be the case, then please do go for help to a clinical psychologist because depression is one of the major causes of weight gain (or ironically also weight loss depending on the individual). I also suspect that you are not as active as you may have been when working. I would like to suggest that you first have a medical checkup to see if you have any hormonal problems (thyroid, insulin or female hormones - anyone of these could be causing the weight gain) and also discuss the possible depression with your dr. If you are given a clean bill of health, then try the X-diet and continue doing as much exercise as possible. The X-diet is based on reducing the amount of fat you eat (fat provides 37 kJ per gram) and increasing the amount of carbs you eat (carbs only provide 17 kJ per gram - quite a difference - and if they contain lots of dietary fibre then the energy content is even lower) and you can obtain good results with this diet.

1
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/02/23

The low-fat evangelists keep forgetting to tell people that high-fibre does not mean that eating tons of pasta is ok.

It's the JUNK (refined) carbs that are the problem. That means bread, pasta, flour, sugar, maize and things made with these ingredients.

I have to admit that I don't understand Tabitha Hume at all. She correctly describes the X syndrome (metabolic syndrome) or insulin resistance, and then goes on to say that you should eat a low-fat high-carb diet for insulin resistance! That seems insane to me.

Please read the latest of Dr Atkins' books if you can. He does clarify a few points that were a bit fuzzy.

As advised above, you should determine what is stopping you from progressing on Atkins. Can be hormones, medication or various other things.

Don't be misled. Your body is either in glucosis (burning glucose) or in lipolysis (burning fat). To get into lipolysis, you have to eat LESS carbs (that does NOT mean NO carbs, just LESS). You cut out the junk carbs and eat only the good ones (vegetables).

Insulin resistance is the root cause of both Type 2 diabetes and obesity.

Also, watch out for additives like Aspartame. It has been found to be one possible cause of inability to lose weight.

Don't overdo the protein while doing Atkins. Dr Atkins points out that the body can convert protein to glucose. You also need a higher fat intake on Atkins.

Finally, it is just NOT true that all sources of energy are equal. A kilojoule from carbohydrate is not treated the same as a kilojoule from fat or protein by your body. Research has shown that a high-fat diet is the most effective for weight loss. Ironic, isn't it? You need fats for your hormones to work correctly. Too much insulin leads to fat storage. It's not true that if you eat more carbs that you just burn them. Too much glucose in the blood, and the insulin will activate fat storage. People on Atkins can eat food with a higher energy content and still lose body fat. You don't have to starve to lose weight.

BTW, people on a high-fat diet, even if it's saturated fat, will generally experience a huge improvement in their blood lipid profile. It isn't true that fat in the diet equals fat in the blood equals heart disease. The real cause of coronary artery disease is a lack of vitamin C and two of the essential amino acids. See www dot drrath dot com.

Reply to Nutrition Nut