Posted by: Lee | 2008/09/18

Increased density on the left breast

I have had an ' ache'  in my left breast for the last 5 months, for about 5 days in each month. The only way I can alleviate the ' ache'  is by applying pressure to the breast. I went to my gynaecologist and he recommended that I go for a mammogram, which I have done. They also peformed an ultrasound on my left breast. The results / comment from the radiologist were as follows:
" There is slight asymmetrical increased density of the preast parenchymal on the left in the retroareolar region. No discrete focal lesion identified. On ultrasound I could not identitfy any obvious abnormality in this region. I don' t suspect anything sinister, but a follow up mammogram in six months time would be advised" 
Other than the above comments I had no explanation of what ' increased density'  means/what it is caused from. I am naturally concerned, as six months seems an eternity away.
I am 37 years old, have no history of breast cancer in my family.

Hallo Lee
It could be due to inflammation or infection of the breast tissue - you are probably going to see the gyne again? If he is not sure whether this is a nodule, he can always take a needle biopsy. He/she should also decide if you need antibiotics. You can try Voltaren gel on the affected area. It does not sound as if there are any signs of breast cancer?