Question
Posted by: sep | 2004/09/29

incontinence without illness

My dog, 7 years old, bit overweight, male, neutered at 2 years, has started to wet his bed. During the day he seems to urinate normally, but every morning there is a large patch of urine on his mattress. I took him to the vet and the new vet at the practice just took his temperature (normal), checked his gums (pink) and prescribed 5 days of antibiotics. I was surprised she didn't take a urine sample or conduct a thorough physical exam. I have heard that incontinence occurs without reason in some dogs and is nothing to worry about, but I have this doubt. Should I go back and insist oN SEEING THE SENIOR VET?

Incontinence in male dogs is fairly uncommon. It can happen especially following severe enlargement of the prostate, however since your dog is neutered, this is highly unlikely (unless you know that there was a problem with the prostate previously). Incontinence in the male dog can be treated with male hormone injections (testosterone injections, repeated as necessary) and this can be very successful. An oral treatment (phenylpropanolamine) can also be administered, but needs to be administered twice daily, every day to be effective. It sometimes is used in combination with testosterone injections. In some cases oestrogen can also be used, especially if other treatments were not found to be effective. These dogs often have urinary tract infections, in which case antibiotics are essential. Incontinence leads to urinary tract infections, and urinary tract infections worsen incontinence.
by the way, some dogs will only become incontinence when they are drinking vast or excessive amounts of water. This may be caused by other problems like excessive cortisone in the body, certain liver problems and diabetes. If your dog is not drinking excessively, it is probably typical incontinence.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: Blaze | 2004/09/29

Not too sure about male dogs, but with spayed bitches, when they reach old age (7+) they can suffer incontinence without there actually being anything wrong. Although not all spayed bitches suffer from it, it is rather common, and is treatable. I give my dogs medication called PPP (all vets know what that is - even though the real name is too long to remember). I give it to them once a day (2ml) through a syringe and then never have the problem of "leaking".

With your dog I would consider a second opinion first however, because you would pick up if the dog is incontinent irrespective of the time of day - there are always wet patches around the house.

Dont know if that really helps you much though. Good luck

Reply to Blaze