Posted by: embaressed | 2008/01/24


I am suffering from urinary and faecal incontinence for about 2 years (since the birth of my 2nd child). It is not very bad but it is quite frequent. I had natural childbirth with episiotomy's with both of my children. Do you think this may be the cause? I have recently started running and I find it quite embaressing as it tends to get worse and I often find I have soiled my panties. Where can I get help for this problem?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Embarrassed
This can be caused by damage to the sphincters with childbirth. Please see an urologist specializing in this condition. You may need to see a surgeon also ( for the fecal incontinence) but tackle one thing at a time.
I know in Pretoria, Dr Frans van Wijk at Urology hospital manages this, and his offices may be able to refer you to someone in your area.
012 342 9417
dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.