Question
Posted by: Lynette | 2004/02/09

Incompetent Cervix - Cerclage

I have had this done before however, the pregnancy terminated thereafter so the success of this procedure is not yet known by me. I am now 13.5 weeks.

What is an incompetent cervix as I still do not understand?
How is it diagnosed? Is an internal exam sufficient or do I have to exhibit signs of premature labour?
How common is this incompetent Cervix generally as the last time and this time, other woman are also having the stitch put in? I may just be paranoid but none the less....
What dangers are there to the baby - I know about the infections etc but can my baby merely die after having this procedure?

I have lost two pregnancies, one without even being diagnosed with an incompetent cervix and the second after diagnosis. The second lost pregnancy was very problematic from the get go and I need to try and do whatever it takes to ensure that this pregnancy goes the full way. My first born was born prem at 28weeks due to high blood pressure. There just seems to be too much wrong with me to try and figure out what I need to be careful of.

Thanks a mil

Lynette

An incompetent cervix is a defect in the cervix whereby it does not hold a pregnancy but dilates prematurely. The diagnosis can be made in a number of ways- 1. if there is a very suggestive history 2. if severe an internal examination may detect it 3. by measuring the cervix with ultrasound.
The incidence is less than 1%. The main complication of a stitch is infection which can result in preterm labour. The best way to make the diagnosis in this pregnancy would be to have an ultrasound to measure the cervix.
Inn terms of the hypertension, there is a chance of recurrence so you should have regular visits with your doctor.