Question
Posted by: JANE | 2007/11/28

INCISIONAL HERNIA

Hi Dr Bets,
I have written in a couple of times before about my bowels being blocked, having a stent put in, etc. I have now got an incisional hernia. Which I am due to be operated in for next week. I am poop scared. I know you are not a surgeon, but I am feeling realy ill and depressed about this. The dr has said that because of all my scar tissue this will be a "tricky" op. Apart from getting a prescription for anti depressants, what else can I do to calm myself down.???

Dear Jane
You have all my sympathies - I can think that you are not keen on having another operation!! Get yourself some Biral or ask your doctor to prescribe some Aterax to calm yourself. Alternatively you can try and do some relaxation exercises - see http://panicdisorder.about.com/cs/shrelaxation/ht/relaxdesk.htm
Let me know how it went?
dr Bets