Question
Posted by: Johan | 2007/11/27

Inability to move body

in the past few months I have experienced the same situation about 4 times. I went to sleep and would at some stage fully wake up and be aware of everything that happens around me, but I am unable to move or speak at all for a while. After a few minutes things will suddenly return to normal. Why do this happen and should I see my GP regarding this?.

Hallo Johan

This is a kind of sleeping disorder called sleep paralysis. It is not dangerous and is caused by a miscommunication between the brain and the body during the rapid eye movement sleep cycle. It is often caused by being overtired or very stressed.

See http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9806

Management includes to :
• Get enough sleep
• Reduce stress
• Exercise regularly (but not too close to bedtime)
• Keep a regular sleep-wake schedule
• sleeping on the side may help

Rivotril 0.5 mg at night may help if it is not manageable by the above.