Question
Posted by: anon | 2006/04/04

In your opinion doc -

I was reading an article on "the sultans of swinging" the other day in woman24. I was quite angered by the statements made by a certain psychiatrist and sexologist guy, who states emphatically the following "if a couple's going this route, it's clear
the love has gone".
I think this is an unfair comment and have to consider it a statment made not out of textbook theory but rather out of the "shackles" of ones own belief structure. If you are brought up to beleive its wrong, no matter what people tell you, you will have a negative bias, no matter what text books say. I can consider for a moment the question of pro-life and pro-choice. World reknowned experts are on both sides of the fence on this and there will be no clear answer until all is revealed i guess. I think the same goes for this case, albeit not as significant, will challange many experts and normal peoples opinions on the subject. I believe it has more to do with what we feel rather than what we know that will make us decide.
I can for one say we are of the soft-swinging types (the majority of so called "swingers") in this dangerous world of ours where partner swapping is a no-no. I still know couples who do swap who are in love too. I think its a case of one having had to have been there and tried that to give a fair report back on the subject.

Personally, I also don't think that swinging is ever a sign of great love between a couple ; though I'm intrigued to know which psychiatrist and self-proclaimed sexologist so annoyed you ! Of course, as Tango says, shrinks can only base their experience on people who come to consult them, and people who are terribly happy, rarely come to visit ut ( at least not in our consulting rooms !). But I dont know of ANY evidence that swinging is good for a relationship or the paticipants.

1
Posted by: Tango | 2006/04/04

I think you make some interesting comments, but I believe those Experts make those comments based on the couples that limp into their practises having been burnt by the experiences of swinging.

Reply to Tango