Question
Posted by: zelda | 2003/03/06

in-vitro fertilisatin

I have had a tubaligation done about four years ago. I would like to have another baby in two years.I do not want to have an operation to reverse this due to the cost and it is also a 2hr op with no guarantee that i will conceive.what is the procedure with in-vitro fertilisation and the cost involved?

The cost with IVF is much higher. I cannot give you an exact figure as this varies from place to place, but you are probably looking at around R10 000. The procedure is much more complicated as it involves extracting your eggs ( after stimulating your cycle so that you produce more than one), fertilising them with your partner's sperm in a test tube and then putting the fertilised egg back into the uterus. This involves a number of scans, drugs and two procedures. Success rate is about 30%.
I assume that if you had a tubal ligation that you are not very young. Fertility decreases with age, particularly after 35 years, so if you are planning to go this route, the sooner you do so the better.

1
Posted by: Barbara | 2003/03/13

We are in the process of using a surogate and the expence is extremley high.To date it's cost us around R 23.000. The cost of the surogates medication was mimimal mine cost the most. If it doesn't work you looking at the same kind of money next time round.

Barbara

Reply to Barbara