Question
Posted by: Lulu | 2003/01/16

In trouble overweight...HELP

Dear Doc,

I am 26 years old, 1.54m tall and weighing 76kg. My healthy weight should be 54kg. I have an excess of 22kg on me all in the upper body area. I look and feel very ugly and depressed at the moment. I desperately want to be at my ideal weight but dont know how to do it. I suppose due to the overweight problem, I have gained other problems like high blood pressure, glucose intolerance and what else I dont know.

I need help, PLEASE. Can you suggest a long term programme that I can use to lose that weight naturally or is there someone in my area Durban that can assist me with a health eating programme to reduce weight.

Thanks Friend

Dear Lulu
Your BMI of 32 is very high and I agree that it would be desirable for you to reduce to 54 kg. Because you have multiple diet-related problems I would like to suggest that you consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) for the name and address of your nearest dietitian), who will work out a diet which promotes weight loss and helps for the bp and glucose intolerance. It is always a good idea to combine a diet slimming diet with an exercise programme and as you have an uneven weight distribution I would suggest that you join a good gym and ask the instructor to work out a programme to target the problem areas.

2
Posted by: Ma'at | 2003/01/17

You can get out of this rut! 50% is correct eating (I'm not using the word diet, you just need to eat correctly) 30 is the right kind of exercise, and 20 is the right kind of attitude. You have to do all 3! You need the exercise to speed up your metabolism, and you need the right attitude to exercise! The most difficult is eating correctly. Basic rules: 6 small meals per day, 2 litres water per day, no wheat, dairy, or sodium. Try to cut out ALL fat. Yes you need fat but you'll get enough, I promise! Equal quantities of protein and carbs. (High carbs is BS and you'll get this advice from most dieticians - check their physical condition out first before taking their advice). See www.bodyforlife.com for many examples of people like you who have overcome similar problems. The Body for Life Challenge REALLY works!

Reply to Ma'at
Posted by: Kiddo | 2003/01/17

I am in the same boat with you, I also have to loose 25kg and I am struggling.If you want to loose weight the healthy way you can join weighless or go to a Dietician. I also have high blood pressure and recently my GP found out that I have diabetes but it is still at an early stage. This happened now in January. This year I have to loose weight whether I like it or not.I am also a member of Weighless but all this time I was not following it 100%, but this year am going to be committed. Check the telephone directory for Weighless number.

Good luck and all the best. You can give your email address if you want us to talk.

Reply to Kiddo