Question
Posted by: Fourie | 2007/03/26

In Shape cheese/Dairybelle Delight

I am currently pregnant and have a sudden craving for cheese.
I see in your slimming diet you allow cheese. Can I have a slice of a medium fat cheese rather than gouda or cheddar?
Would you pls rate my diet.

B/fast
Kellogs Corn Flakes with low fat milk and 1 tsp brown sugar.
(Kellogs is the only cereal I am in the mood for at present.)

Snack
An Apple

Lunch
2 slices Low GI bread with a slice of coldmeat, cheese and tomato.
(would it very wrong if I have 2 slices of cold meat and 2 slices of cheese?)

Snack
Banana and yogurt

Dinner
Moderate amount of what I cook

Late night snack
Yogurt

I have a cup of coffee or tea from time to time with sugar and milk. Drink 1.5 - 2 l water a day. Have a tendancy to retain water.

I am currently 3 months and have manage to only pick up a kilo or 2, would love to pick up only 12 over the duration of the pregnancy because I was 3 kg overweight before the start.

I value your comment.

Dear Fourie
Your diet is perfectly reasonable for pregnancy and is obviously not too high in energy as you have not really picked up any weight. If a woman starts her pregnancy with a normal weight (which I presume you did?) then you can gain between 12 and 16 kg over the 9 months, thus between 1,3 and 1,7 kg per month. I think you can certainly have 2 slices of lean cold meat (cooked beef or chicken breast for example) and 2 slices of medium-fat cheese or even better fat-free cottage cheese with your lunch (the latter is rich in protein and calcium and low in fat).
Wishing you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy