Question
Posted by: WannaKnow | 2007/11/29

In Quest of loosing weight

Dear Doc,

I am a 35 year old woman weighing 83kg with the height of 1,6m.I have broad shoulders and slim thighs.I can control my tummy easily.My problem is I gain weight quickly but take time to loose it.I have just joined the gym(Virgin Active) and my schedule is:

Monday- Vcore for 30 minutes (muscles control)
Tuesday-Step for beginners for 60 minutes
Wed- I exercise on my own,running/walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes and focus on the upper body exercises.
Thurs- V-Fit class for 60 minutes (part step part weight)
I rest on Friday,Sat and Sun.

I don’t follow any specific diet but I use only low fat for cooking oil and bread spreads or even olive oil when I have enough money to buy it. The very first thing I do in the mornings is to drink boiling water with cinnamon and honey or just water and lemon juice. I occasionally eat cereals maybe 3x a month (I hate cereals). Most of the time I only eat my breakfast at 10h00.Breakfast is 2 whole wheat slices with tomato and cheese (gouda/cheddar).I have tried low fat cheese its too salty for my liking. Or else I just eat toast and butter and have tea with 2 sugars (I use brown sugar all the time,even with my veggies when need be). I also don’t like fruit so I substitute with 100% fruit juice. I drink one cup of coffee a day or when I need it. Lunch is sometimes veggies, mostly sweet corn,baby squash,butternut or carrots with rice/pap. Sometimes I don’t eat supper I just have a piece of chicken. (the only part of chicken I eat is wings and thighs).I love chicken skin.Sometimes I’ll have pasta with veggies. I also don’t drink water religiously only when at the gym or taking my multivits or my ARVs (am HIV+) and on medication. I don’t take milk with my tea but with coffee and its only low fat but sometimes I’ll go for 2 weeks without having any milk in my coffee.

In the past few weeks I have gained a whooping 5 kg even though I exercise. What am I doing wrong or is it because my body is starting to build up muscles hence the weight? Pse advise,I have tried the H24 low fat diet once for 2 wks and it worked but I was running for about 15-20 minutes then, before I joined the gym. And oh I drink about 6 savannahs every Sat now that its FEstive season!

Dear WannaKnow
Your present BMI = 32,4 which is in the obese category, thus is would be beneficial if you could lose weight. However because of the fact that you are HIV+, I cannot recommend any of the standard weight loss diets. For your own sake Please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a diet for you that a) helps you to lose weight, b) boosts your immune system and c) does not interfere with your ARVs. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet. The diet you describe is not beneficial for your condition and may be contributing to your weight gain. On the other hand, ARVs can also cause weight gain and the so-called metabolic syndrome, which all needs to be addressed in detail by the dietitian.