Question
Posted by: Dees | 2007/03/28

In pain after gym workout

I have been doing some moderate cardio for the last 3 weeks, rejoining the gym after years. I started an exercise program after an assessment, and was introduced to the circuit by an instructor who overloaded the weights somewhat. However, 2 days later, I am in constant pain in my upper arms.

Questions:
1
What should I do to relieve the pain - I know I over-exerted myself for my first circuit workout -can hardly lift my arms!
2
How long should I wait before resuming exercising? I will do normal cardio until then.

Hi Dees

By the time you read this, your pain will be subsiding ( I hope). It's actually not a surprise that you are hurting, because whenever the muscles are loaded or asked to do unaccustomed exercise, they become very painful and stiff in the days afterwards. Without going into massive detail on this, your muscles develop very tiny, microscopic tears and these have to be repaired. Part of the repair process involves swelling and sensitization of the nerves, and this combinations puts you in pain. It's nothing to worry about, though it's unpleasant, but it does subside within about 3 days. After that you can resume training. I would back off on the weights though, at least for a week, until you no longer hurt the day after training and then build up gradually. Until then, continue your cardio training, but by tomorrow, you'll find that you can train as per normal.