Question
Posted by: Lulu | 2007/03/27

In pain

On Sunday I did a exersize called the twist - you move your upper body in a opposite dierection to your lower body. While doing the exersize I got a pain in my breastbone (in the middel of my breasts, almost where the ribcages come together). I went to the gym yesterday and the pain got worse. Is this something serious or just muscles that has not yet been worked ? Please help as I dont want to make this worse as I dont know what it is.

Hi Lulu

I suspect it's probably a strain or a sprain of some sort, perhaps one of the intercostal muscles. It's unlikely to be a straightforward problem of using muscles you haven't used yet, becaus your pain came on very suddenly, as opposed to the delayed, gradual pain of muscle stiffness. So I think that you need to rest for a little while, maybe 3 or 4 days and then see what it feels like, before you resume normal training. The tricky thing about this area is that you can't really speed up the recovery like you would be able to do with a muscle in your leg say (assuming it's muscular), so you kind of just have to ride it out. If it doesn't improve, then it's probably wise that you see a doctor next week, after giving i some time to heal by itself.