Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2008/07/03

In need help

My son was molested when he was a toddler and he is 18 now. We only recently found out about it when he eventually broke down and told us. What must I do? He needs to speak to someone that can help him. He has anger issues and it is affecting his schoolwork. He is writing his matric exams.
Please advise.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

He deserves to see a good local psychologist, NOT one with a special interest in molestation or child abuse issues ( simply because far too many of those are themselves obsessed with the issues and can make matters worse, not better ) but any good competent and experienced psychologist ought to be able to help him, to assess the situation and help him deal with anger issues. As he has now made the essential breakthrough of trusting you enough to start talking about it, with a trustworthy shrink, he will be able to get it all off his chest, and move beyond this. The shrinks who are themselves too focussed on this issue tend to prolong the discomfort and too easily teach someone to become a professional and lifelong victim, rather than helping them to recover and move o to better things in their lives, leaving this unpleasant episode far behind them

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.