Question
Posted by: sahara | 2004/11/11

Impossible to loose weight - Please help

My wife and I have both gone on a diet / better eating lifestyle.
However while I have lost approx 8KG in 7 weeks , she has lost about 1 - 2kg. ( she lost 3kg in the first 4 days and have since then been going up and down between 1 and 3 kg - no further loss ) She weighs 60kg at present , 1.6m in length.Her aim is 50 - 52kg .She takes in a maximum of about 5500 - 6500kj per day. She runs approx 2 -3 km x 4 mornings per week plus another 3 afternoons and then does 45min of spinning 3 times every week. Our diet includes very little fat , medium carbs , medium proteins ( fish and chicken 6 times a week ) , fruit and vegetables every day , etc etc. In my eyes a very healthy diet.
She also drinks at least 6 - 8 glasses of water every day. Does not smoke or drink . I have now run out of excuses why she is not loosing more weight. She has definitely been in an energy defecit for the last 7 weeks , so how on earth can she not loose anything ? Please help as she is getting very depressed.
sahara

Dear Sahara
Your wife's present BMI = 23,4, which is well within the normal range (18-25) and if she reduces to 52 kg, this would give her a BMI of 20,3, which is below the ideal of 22 (for which she should weigh 56 kg). If her weight is in the normal range she will lose weight very slowly as her body will resist this type of change. The reason why you may have lost so much more weight is that men do tend to lose more and faster because they have a higher Basic Metabolic Rate (BMR) and a large amount of lean body mass than women. If your wife is so active she will gradually lose weight, but it will take time. She should not get depressed, as depression is not only an important cause of weight gain, but also hampers weight loss.