Posted by: Sandra | 2007/12/05

Impaired Glucose Tolerance

Hi DietDoc,

After having the Glucose Tolerance test 2 days ago, I found out that I have impaired glucose tolerance.

As I understand it, it's a pre-diatic state that needs to be treated before it turns to full blown diabetes.

What would be the best diet for me? My GP would like me to control this via diet and exercise, but if no improvement has been made in 3 months, she will most likely put me on medication. Would Xenical be an option for me at this stage?


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Sandra
Unless you need to lose a large amount of weight, you don't really need Xenical for insulin resistance (IR). t is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. It is also essential that you start doing some form of exercise because regular aerobic exercise will help you to control your blood glucose and insulin levels and thus lose weight. It also prevents you from developing diabetes. If you don't have time to go to a gym or Walk for Life, then do home exercises, for example, you can always buy a skipping rope and skip every day. Start off gradually skipping slowly for about 10 min a day and as you get fitter, increase how fast you skip and how long until you are doing 30 min a day.
Best regards

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.