Question
Posted by: LC | 2007/04/11

IMMIGRATION SHOULD WE OR NOT????? URGENT

Hi, my husband wants to immigrate to London, and we have 2 children and one on the way, a girl 12 years old and a boy 5 years old, both afrikaans. Can anyone please tell me if my children is going to cope in London, where everything is english and it's very different from South Africa, like cold and so on. Do anyone have experience in this line and is it safe to move with my children???? Please help I am worrying so much and it is not good for my pregnancy. Thanks

A can no longer get the right batteries for my crystal ball, so I am unable to tell you whether your children WILL cope in London. However, I see no reason why they should NOT be able to cope. Much depends on whether they have already been enabled to become fluent in English,. London has its problems, but is always safer than just about anywhere in SA.
The weather can be gloomy for long periods, and that either makes it unbearable for you, or you learn to appreciate and enjoy the fine weather when it comes. And Global Warming may help !
Isn' there an organization, with some presence on the web. of South Africans Abroad, even SA's in the UK ? If so, they could advise more directly, and might be worth searching for online.
I think Tams is right about rather taking a reasonably long holiday there first --- and NOT in mid-summer, but during some of their more miserable weather, to see how you handle it.
Frusty should be helpful, too --- though I'm cross that she's now on Mantalk and no longer here !

5
Posted by: Britty | 2007/04/11

CS is right that you can't predict how you will like the UK but if you don't go you will always wonder in the years to come if you should have done it. If you are unsure DO NOT sell your South African house as if it doesn't work for you in the UK you will be able to return to South Africa wiser but not too poor to start again in South Africa. Good Luck.

Reply to Britty
Posted by: just wondering | 2007/04/11

is there a reason it has to be london, or cant you maybe go to a country that's more like SA(weather..not so crowded as london)? like AUS?

ive tried london 2 but instead of liking it more it just made me realise why i didnt like it the first time. it's OK for youngsters who want to go and make money(which is already hard), but think carefully when you have a family and have to change 4/5 peoples environment. it might be that 1 child addapts, one dont, you cant but your husband can..

you must carefully consider. it is a total shock for the system.

if you do go. the most NBNBNB thing ive learned is that you cant do it without CLOSE friends. you need to have that. because like mentioned in above comments, the weather etc. can be very depressing and it does influence your whole existense.

Reply to just wondering
Posted by: Tams | 2007/04/11

Don't think anyone can tell you what to do, it should be a decision you make. Is it not possible to go across for a long holiday or to look around first. Its difficult for someone else to tell you, as each person's experiences of living in another country is different. Both my nephews have been in London, living and working, yeah I know its different as they are young, unattached. If you leave with negative attitude and negatives views, you will not enjoy the experience. You should not have any preconceived ideas and decide to make a go of it not matter what. For instance, deciding where to stay when you get there, are you going to settle in London or outside of London. Where will your husband be working or doing business. Is he prepared to commute if he has to. Depending on the school you want to send your kids to, obviously you would want to live in a good area near a good school. All this needs a lot of research and homework.

Why not contact the British Embassy or get more information from other SAfricans living in the UK.

Frusty who posts on Mantalk lives in the UK, she is a SAfrican, perhaps you can post something for her attention and she will give you her input.

Another British poster is Katey from the Sexual Abuse Forum, ask her for some advice. I am sure she will be only too happy to answer your questions.

Reply to Tams
Posted by: Paul | 2007/04/11

I am from England and emigrated with my teenage family to SA and I belive it is the best thing I could have done .I think with the Yob culture as it is in england especially in the innercitys being so bad the kids will hate it and further more those horrid kids over there will pick on your kids for having a different accent. Please think twice. Remember the grass is only greener for a reason.But mabe there are issues and drivers that make you want to go well in that case I would suggest that you went and carefully selected where you will stay and if possible contact other South Africans in the same area and get their Advice. Good Luck with your decision,we are happy with ours as you South Aficans are loverly people.

Reply to Paul

Everyone has their own views on this subject. I went over with my wife and we hated it. It is very expensive and it is a very miserable place. I don't know where the English humour is supposed to come from because the people over there are so damn depressed. The weather is also terrible. I think that your kids will battle to adapt. The place is also terribly overcrowded. We lasted a month and we came back - better the devil you know......