Question
Posted by: Sara | 2004/03/03

Immedaiate help NEEDED PLEASE!!!

Please help me

a lady who shares the same property as me had 4 dogs 2 of them just died from dystemper she says it is highly contagious CAN MY 2 KITTYS CATCH THIS FROM THE DOGS???

they have not had any injections as they stay inside the house at all times but could they catch this from being in contact with me and me being in contact with the dogs??

Although your cats cannot get distemper, they are certainly very susceptible to equally disastrous diseases by not being vaccinated. Simply keeping them indoors is certainly no protection against diseases, as some of these viruses can be extremely resilient and spread in ways that you cannot prevent. Please have some vaccinated as soon as possible, they are at grave risk of contracting serious disease.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: chill | 2004/03/03

Cats don't get distempe from dogs - feline distemper is caused by a different virus.

I suggest you put 'distemper cat' or 'distemper dog' into Google and read up about it, if you're interested. Lots of information free for the taking.

Reply to chill