Question
Posted by: Jen | 2003/03/15

Ileotibial Tract Pain - Best course of action!

After running my first marathon I started experiencing pain in my right knee on the outer side. My GP diagnosed it as ITP and put me on a course of three cortisone injections. Most athletes I have mentioned this to are against cortisone treatment. Some of them recommend acupuncture in the knee. Would some good streaching exercise help this type of problem. Please give me any helpful information you might have on ITP.

HI Jen

Cyberdoc is probably your better person to speak to in this regard. However, I will add some advice. I think most sports doctors aren't overly supportive of cortisone injections as the first line of treatment. You need to know what is causing the problem and handle that. For example - are your shoes incorrect, do you have biomechanical problems, had your training changed dramatically? If you live in Cape Town I would recommend you visit our Peak Biokinetics Unit, who can give you an exercise programme relevant to your ITB to correct imbalances and strengthen muscles that may be weak, as well as giving you stretching exercises.
They can be contacted on 021 659 5647. They can also assess possible causes for the problem.

Good luck.