Posted by: Debbie | 2008/11/11

ileofemoral deep vein thrombosis

I am 42 years old and I broke my ankle 3 months ago and 2 weeks later had to have the plaster of paris removed as I developed a dvt in the upper leg, extending from behind the knee to just above the groin. My vascular surgeon says it' s stabilised now after a week in hospital on the tummy injections and warfarin.
I do use the compression pantihose throughout the day.
It has been 2.5 months now and I am on 5mg warfarin per day but need to do a booster now of an extra 2.5mg 3 times a week. My INR was last 1.6 when taking the booster twice a week.
I also still swelll quite a lot after sitting or standing or even walking for more than an hour.
Doctor says I can go to gym but the biokineticist prefers no excercise with my INR results not being within the normal range.

How serious is this blood clot now and what are the chances that it can break off and go to the lung/heart? Should I be seeing anyone other than the vascular surgeon and is there a board of recommended vascularsurgeons I can choose from?

My Mother also has had a thrombosis in her lower legs twice already (one at age 30, c-section &  the other one a month ago) and also suffered a stroke around the age of 40 years.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Hallo Debbie
You should actually have another duplex doppler to see if the clot has resolved by now (it should have) The symptoms you have could be what we call a post phlebitic leg, side effects due to having the clot. You may have a familial tendency to make clots easier than other people, this can be tested for by a hematologist and I think you should have it done. Which area do you live in - maybe I can give you the name of a good vascular surgeon if you need a second opinion?
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Debbie | 2008/11/13

Thanks for your response. Yes I would like a second opinion and it doesn' t matter too much on the area. I live in Kuilsriver, Cape Town but am prepared to see anyone in the Peninsula, I just want the best vascular surgeon and hemotologist possible.
Thank you so much

Reply to Debbie

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.