Question
Posted by: carol | 2004/10/11

If overweight is weight Loss needed Before Breast Reduction Or Lift?

Hi Doc,

Why is it so important for someone not to be overweight before they undergo a breast reduction or lift/?
I understand that there could in some cases be medical hazards but what if the person is fit and about 6kilos overweight? Does the fact that they are fit and exercise regularly count in their favour?
The main reason I ask is because to me , if you make someone lose weight before a breast lift op , what if after the op they gain weight(since they wont be very active for a while afterwards) , wont the bresats just start to sag again?Thanks

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Carol,

The importance of weight loss, but more importantly weight maintenance, before AND after any cosmetic surgery procedure, is to reap the real benefits of the surgery. If you have breast reduction or breast lift surgery and then start losing weight, you will be confronted with sagging breasts, because of the loss of fatty tissue in the breast - the benefits of the surgery will be totally lost. The same will of course apply if you pick up weight again.

Certainly patients who are fit, healthy and who exercise regularly, and close to their ideal weight, and who are emotianally stable, are more likely to sail through surgery than other patients.

Successful cosmetic surgery results for the patient does not only require a skillful plastic surgeon, but also an ideal candidate.