Question
Posted by: Reets | 2005/07/28

If Loved ones cannot handle your depression

This must be the loneliest situation if your hubby tries but do not understand and gets fedup and peed off with the situation. Any advice out there?

See a counsellor, as well as taking the prescribed medication ; and one of the focusses of the counselling can be how YOU can make it less miserable for your husband to deal with your depression ( it's unlikely to be entirely his fault that he's finding it hard to remain sympathetic ) ; as well as learning better techniques for managing your own depression

6
Posted by: Tigerfish | 2005/07/28

I had the same problem, my husband does not handle my depression very well at all. Can't blame him, it's a bitch to have to live with for everybody, especially those who don't understand. My shrink got my husband to sit in on one of our sessions and to share his thoughts/feelings too. It helped tremendously.

Reply to Tigerfish
Posted by: Lorraine | 2005/07/28

I have a question... i have never really been depressed in my life (i have had ordinary bad days or moments but never proper depression). My fiance has bipolar II. I would like to know what to do when he gets depressed like that.... what can i say to make him feel better and what can i do not to also get irritated or "fed up" with him when he gets like that?

Reply to Lorraine
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/28

Mmmm, I think that is a common problem - with depression so many people think we must just get over it and sort ourselves out. But treatment and or counselling does help. There is no way you can make him understand - when I went through the PND my husband moaned at the doc for putting me on happy pills as I was stronger than that - so the doc explained why I needed them (and trust me I did, I couldn't do it in my own strength).

Is there no other friend you can maybe get support from as well that he is not giving you (female of course!). My husband still does not understand what I went through then, thinking it was something odd or imagined. And it is difficult to explain - was different to a normal kind of depression - and trying to make him "see" the images that flashed in front of me the whole time of death and stuff. And that sort of made it worse, with him pooh-poohing it - I felt that I couldn't tell anyone.

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: reets | 2005/07/28

my husband were advised by my doctor how to handle me when i get depressed, because he would always ignore me as he believed i would eventually sort myself out. I would be fine but sometimes it is too difficult for me. He went and was very optimistic but he still doesnt know. He says he doesnt know what to tell me. he is sick and tired of the same old shit all the time.

Reply to reets
Posted by: Joanne E | 2005/07/28

Can you be a bit more specific - like what situation in what context? Like does he say you should not be depressed as yu are stronger than that or something?

Reply to Joanne E
Posted by: me | 2005/07/28

ya sure, I went through a similar sitiation with an eating disorder, when my best friend left me cos she couldnt handle the person I became cos of the person I become cos of the depression that came alongside it and walked out on me although I was the best frien towards her, read my posting, loss of a friend, aboce yours, it might inspire u, although urs is a little different since u cant walk out on a husband and forget about an husband... like i could do a friend

Reply to me