Posted by: permi | 2008/01/04

if it is IBS, how is it possible?

Hi Doc,

i am not sure what is wrong with me, 3 weeks ago, i went to a party in some rural area, 2 days later my stomach started to make embrassing noises(grouling sort of) the next day i started passing stool frequently, 3 days later i went to a doctor, n he said he suspects i might have had food poisining, he gave me medication and told me it should stop by the next day and it did but then i stopped using the medication and started eating healthy foods (vegetables, fruits, 100% juices, pro-vitas, dried Prunes, apples mostly and my stool was close to normal but stil narrow.

a week later on the day of my period( my periods get more painful every month, and the blood is very red/ pinkish) the diarrhea started again and the embarassing stomach noises got louder. 2 days after i went to the chemist n the pharmacist suggested i could have caught some bad bacteria and he gave me Probiotics, and said i shuld avoid milk, oil, butter n cheese n i did, i hav been on pro-biotics for 3 days now n find that my stomach makes the noises during the night and after those small movements in my bowel then i start to pass gas. wat i dont understand is that if i do have IBS (what i am suspecting) how is it possible, bcos i excersise regularly, every morning even b4 these symptoms started i used to have a bowl of Hi-fibre brans or all bran flakes in the morning, other time all bran muffins, i drank 1 litre of water evry day, i meditated. so how is it possible that i could be having this IBS?

lastly do you think its worth it for me to rather go and see a Gastroenterologist or should i go back to the GP?i am aslo confused also as to whether i should see a gynae or Gastroenterologist bcos even my periods are very painful and they get worse by evry month, n wen finished i start to get a very embarrasing smell in my discharge with a different colour. i think the sooner i have a diagnosis the better i can be able to start treatment.

i know i have a long story and many questions but could you please give me advise as to wat i can do

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Permi

Thank you for visiting

I suggest that you make an appointment with a Gastroenterologist, in order for him/her to do the necessary tests to exclude IBS. IBS is common but unfortunately, it is a diagnosis that has to be made by excluding other pathological causes.

You should also see a Gynaecologist for a papsmear, as well as a swap of the vagina to make a diagnosis of why your menstruational pains are so severe.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: anxious | 2008/01/06

You could go to either your gp or gynae. Either of them will send you to a gastroentoroligist if it is necessary. Just make sure you describe all your symptoms.

You could definitely have endometriosis.

Its probably better to go to your gynae.

Reply to anxious

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.