Question
Posted by: permi | 2008/01/04

if it is IBS, how is it possible?

Hi Doc,

i am not sure what is wrong with me, 3 weeks ago, i went to a party in some rural area, 2 days later my stomach started to make embrassing noises(grouling sort of) the next day i started passing stool frequently, 3 days later i went to a doctor, n he said he suspects i might have had food poisining, he gave me medication and told me it should stop by the next day and it did but then i stopped using the medication and started eating healthy foods (vegetables, fruits, 100% juices, pro-vitas, dried Prunes, apples mostly and my stool was close to normal but stil narrow.

a week later on the day of my period( my periods get more painful every month, and the blood is very red/ pinkish) the diarrhea started again and the embarassing stomach noises got louder. 2 days after i went to the chemist n the pharmacist suggested i could have caught some bad bacteria and he gave me Probiotics, and said i shuld avoid milk, oil, butter n cheese n i did, i hav been on pro-biotics for 3 days now n find that my stomach makes the noises during the night and after those small movements in my bowel then i start to pass gas. wat i dont understand is that if i do have IBS (what i am suspecting) how is it possible, bcos i excersise regularly, every morning even b4 these symptoms started i used to have a bowl of Hi-fibre brans or all bran flakes in the morning, other time all bran muffins, i drank 1 litre of water evry day, i meditated. so how is it possible that i could be having this IBS?

lastly do you think its worth it for me to rather go and see a Gastroenterologist or should i go back to the GP?i am aslo confused also as to whether i should see a gynae or Gastroenterologist bcos even my periods are very painful and they get worse by evry month, n wen finished i start to get a very embarrasing smell in my discharge with a different colour. i think the sooner i have a diagnosis the better i can be able to start treatment.

i know i have a long story and many questions but could you please give me advise as to wat i can do

Dear Permi

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I suggest that you make an appointment with a Gastroenterologist, in order for him/her to do the necessary tests to exclude IBS. IBS is common but unfortunately, it is a diagnosis that has to be made by excluding other pathological causes.

You should also see a Gynaecologist for a papsmear, as well as a swap of the vagina to make a diagnosis of why your menstruational pains are so severe.

Kind regards

1
Posted by: anxious | 2008/01/06

You could go to either your gp or gynae. Either of them will send you to a gastroentoroligist if it is necessary. Just make sure you describe all your symptoms.

You could definitely have endometriosis.

Its probably better to go to your gynae.

Reply to anxious