Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/04/30

IF I ate a lot less

Dear Doctor,

I am in my twenties and thin but I have a bit of a belly. I noticed when I eat very little my stomach gets flat. So I have a question. If I started eating as little as a toddler and kept that rule for years and then went back to my normal quantity when I want to get pregnant one day, would I recover my regular weight or would I get fat more easily? I know I need little food to survive and I feel best and most able to concentrate and work when I eat little. My only fear is that I get fat in the future if I start eating as much as I do right now. Or, if one day I want to be a mother, would it be safe for the baby if I ate little, as long as I feel strong and healthy?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Anonymous
From what you say, you seem to be developing anorexia (you already have characteristic symptoms such as fear of getting fat even when you are thin, unrealistic body perception, etc). Please do go for some professional help before this situation gets out of hand. No one can feel good and concentrate when he or she eats like a toddler. You will ruin your health and life if you pursue these unrealistic ideas. Anorexia, bulimia and orthorexia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on:
Go for expert help ASAP before you damage your normal body functions, including having a baby.
Take care

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.