Question
Posted by: RM | 2006/04/03

Ideal weight for surgery?

what is the ideal weight for me to be if I am undergoing surgery? I'm a female, 28 years old, 156 cm tall and weight 85 kg's.

Dear RM
It depends entirely on what type of surgery you have to undergo and this is something you need to discuss with the surgeon. For example abdominal or heart surgery entail greater risks than having minor surgery, the length of the anaesthetic plays a role and also the length of your stay in hospital. At present your BMI = 35 which is highly obese. I would suggest that if you have the time and if the surgeon agrees that you try and reduce your weight by at least 10 kg or more. Because you are very overweight I would also suggest that you discuss the use of Xenical with the surgeon as you need to lose weight fast and the overweight is a direct threat to your health.
Holding thumbs for you

1
Posted by: for RM | 2006/04/04

current BMI is 34 which is very high, the normal range is 20-25 so i would reccommend you go to 70kg for now to be at a range of 28 BMI and when surgery is over try going down to 65kg to be at a better healthier weight for your fram, but dont stress just take each day as it comes. God bless you and best of luck

Reply to for RM