Question
Posted by: rea | 2004/10/25

Ideal weight

I am 26, weighing around 58-59kg, I gim 3-4 times a week, I am not on a diet, just eat 3 times a day, and maybe sometimes when I have a craving I will have something sweet. The gim instructor recons I am a good 3 kg to heavy, since I have started to gim I have gained 1.5 kg. Do I really need to lose the weight? I have depression and I take tablets for that, I have always had a problem with my weight and how I looked.

Dear Rea
I can't really judge if you are overweight or not, because you did not give me your height in metres so that I can work out your BMI. You can do this for yourself by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Tools' and working out your BMI. If it is between 18 and 25 then your weight is in the normal range. If your weight is normal, disregard the gym instructor and carry on with your normal diet and the exercise. The weight gain after joining the gym is probably due to an increase in muscle mass which weighs more than other body tissues.
Your anti-depressants may cause weight gain, but as I said before, if your weight is in the normal range, then relax.

1
Posted by: Mel | 2004/10/25

It depends on how tall you are. 58-59 is not that big and I think that sometimes gym instructors (who have some obsession with being underweight or something) push the limits. I am considered underweight by my BMI but a gym instructor tried to encourage me to loose weight. Do whatever makes you feel better. Don't push yourself until you are so unhappy. Work out your BMI on the diet section. I am sure you will find that you are really not doing to bad at all.

Good Luck

Reply to Mel