Question
Posted by: Lauls | 2006/04/03

IBS/Spastic colon

I have been diagnosed with IBS but the doctor's are not very good at giving advice on food and I cannot afford the medication. Please can you give me some advice on how and what to eat. I get very bad stomach pains and I have identified my trigger food as sugar and fat. Those are the 2 worst. I have been trying herbal remedies like blackforest tea and rosemary oil to help with the constipation but it would be nice to control it with the eating only.

Dear Lauls
Go back to the dr and ask him to prescribe the generic equivalents of the medicines used to treat IBS because you need an antispasmodic to help your gi tract to relax and the generics are much cheaper. If you can possibly afford at least one consultation with a clinical dietitian I would recommend this to you because you want to control the condition with diet alone, so this would be money well spent. Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet', ‘You are what you eat' and "Healthy GI tract'. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. This is where a dietitian would be able to assist you a great deal (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). For tips on how to reduce your fat intake (seeing that you have identified fat as one of your problem foods already), click on 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section.To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1
Posted by: for lauls | 2006/04/03

i am 21 and have it, the best to do is have all bran every morning, and 3 cups of hot water and lemon juice, i also went to clicks and found a tablet Called Naturalex for R18.99 its a natural laxative that I take every second or third day and I am able to go to the toilet I also go Movial and Coloflac but it is R1000 per month, but the naturlaex is very good really it is, and its natural, Give it a try also include at least a hand ful of boiled or normal pruines to , and penty of fruit, i have about 5 fruits per day which is a little more than the norm.

God bless and Good luck

Reply to for lauls