Question
Posted by: sheldo | 2007/12/19

ibs,poor memory,tired

I suffer from IBS which I am currently receiving no treatment. All treatment received over the years did not work. The doctors I visited in South Africa told me to seek help for stress. This is not the aswer i was looking for. I currently feel permanently tired, i have constant diarrhea, feel a numbness in my brain and my concertration and memory is at low levels.
I am aware that I do not handle stress very well but is there any medication which i could consume to assist in solving the symptoms - Desperate

sheldon

Dear Sheldon
IBS is definitely aggravated by stress. You do have symptoms of depression at the moment too, and a low dose of the antidepressant Amitriptylene or something like Fluoxetine may help for both the conditions. You will need a prescription though. As IBS is such a chronic debilitating disease, this also leads to anxiety and depression, so it is sometimes very difficult to decide which came first!
I really hope this will help!

1
Posted by: sheldo | 2007/12/20

Thanks you so much Dr Bets. I will consult with my GP to get a prescription

Reply to sheldo